Sunday, November 13, 2011

.



Dear  Dad,

We're okay. You  scared me this past winter. I'm glad that you're okay. I thought that you might die and we'd never be able to make peace with each other or that I'd ever hear you say the words, "I love you." Then you did and you  hugged my neck. It started me one a journey to actually live my life again. And I am. From the tai chi to the boat to how I relate to Pup and WB. It freed me. Sailing isn't the impossible. Pup will be okay. And I made myself laugh. Now when folks are cranky or life tries to dump it's unhappy in my lap? I say no thanks.

I'm sorry that we aren't around each other more but I doubt that it would be as I'd hoped. But I can send you post cards from my "travels" and hope that you both have the family that you need.

Dad, I always think of you when I see this video. When I'm able to hear the stories of your life, when I think of everything you've done, when I remember telling the rehab lady about your exploits hoping that she would see past the things you couldn't do and see the things you still would be able to do, I was in away willing you to stay a bit longer. If she could see and know the things that I knew about you, she'd do what she had to to bring you back past the despair or what you couldn't. To look at you know I know that you still have worlds to find.

I was willing for you to see it too. It was the first time that you didn't fight. I didn't want for you to give up.

"Sky diving... I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu..."

I got a second chance too. It's as if there's a big world for me to see.





Such a gift.

Worth more than gold.

Thank you.

Hugs,

Me.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment