Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I was reading on the Internet about a new project for Josh Robert Thompson. He's the voice of the LLS's Geoff Peterson.  He's launching an online variety show with characters that he's created and impersonations of actors and celebrities. As I looked at the photos of the characters,  I was reminded of all the characters that Craig Ferguson used to do on the LLS. This was before JRT came along. 

It got me to wondering why the LLS stopped the skits and characters.  Why there is only CF riffing with the robot and the pantomime horse.  Why is the show now, the Geoff Peterson show with CF and the horse?  If the puppets and the skits and characters are so dated, why is JRT introducing an online show that pretty much looks like the older LLSwCF?

www.rsanews.com  posts older videos from before JRT's GP showed up.  These shows are inventive and highly entertaining.  The meta joke on line was that with each creative bit there would be a time when CF would grow weary of it and then replace it with something new.  It looked exactly like JRT new Internet show.




...

I used to work in a family business.  It allowed me to see both sided of who and why folks who worked there where hired.  The woman who did the hiring and managing had a theory that it was best to hire people who were destined for better things. She expected that all her hires would go to college or go on to manage/own their own businesses.  While they worked for her, she made sure to train and encourage them so that they'd be prepared for college. Like every skit on the LLS show, from the very moment they stepped into the door, it was understood that they would leave for a better future and  would be replace with another person. It was a very good policy because she always had excellent staff who had new ideas and weren't "stuck"  in a job that they hated.  Everyone was better for the process.

...

You must be wondering what the paragraphs above have to do with  each other.  I can't say that I woke up thinking about either CF or JRT.  I actually woke up thinking about change in general.  I was thinking about the planned for changes and the changes that happen while we're planning something else.  I was thinking about how my mother hired people with the expectation that they were going to leave.  Must have been the teacher in her heart to train them to take the things that they'd learned from her and then use it.

Each morning I wake up to a slightly older and slightly different me.  Try as I might, there will be something new, welcome or unwelcome, that has changed in my life.  If I use that notion, ride my life changes like a surfer does a wave,  I stand a chance of having some control over what happens.  I might even grow and be happy with the results.  It might be good to look at life like my mom hired, "her girls".   Maybe I should wake up with the expectation that I should learn what I can here because I'll be somewhere else tomorrow.

...

I love to look at the old LLS videos.  They're still as fresh and inventive as the very first time that I saw them.  I've enjoyed the novelty of the robot as well. However, I feel as if the show has stopped changing.  It's stopped riding the wave of what is happening now. It's stuck.

I'm glad to see this new endeavor by JRT. I would expect him to grow and then, like my mom's hires, I would expect him to leave for better things.  I expect the LLS to be different and better for his  involvement.  I would encourage him to go follow his creative dream. Then I'd expect some new influence to take his place.

...

I am worried that the person who'll leave will not be JRT but Craig Ferguson.  With the same thing night after night? Maybe he already has.

From one of the Internet review sites

"

I Want the old Late Late Show Back

7.0
Let me start by saying I Tivo Craig every night so I haven't missed a show in years.... I used to have such a crush on him... was actually disappointed when he got married... as if... He used to be so hot, and his show was, and still is the best late night show.... but its lost a lot of what made me love it... He used to be cute, but then he got that Mr. Cleaver crew cut hairdo... and started wearing three piece suits and got rid of the puppets and his monologue is now about his penis instead of interesting stuff that he used to talk about.... . I anticipate everything he's going to say now, because he says the same thing over and over... "See what I did" for example. The only part of the show that's good is the opening before the intro, with audience members, and guests if they're good.... the penis monologues the tweets and emails... terrible.... I rarely watch the whole show past the monologue unless a guest is someone I really like. Its a shame its going downhill.... it seems to be related to moving to the bigger studio, although he had the bad haircut before that.... if you look at the picture he shows sometimes, with his ferrets that's the haircut that made him so hot! "
 
 
I know that there are other fans who love the Geoff Peterson with Craig and the horse but people are beginning to complain.
 
.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment