Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Two trains left different stations at different times...

.


If you're lucky, some random act of Fate will kick you in the butt and say,"Get off your duff and out into the world." Thanks to Fate and the stranger who posted a beautiful diving photo. To me it said, "Look at the world. Why are you still sitting here in front of the computer trying to analyze what went wrong in the past when there is so much beauty to see in the "now". Thank you Ms Wayland. We don't know each other and more than likely won't meet, but thank you.










When I was a very young person, this was years ago, we had math word problems to solve. In Calculus there was the problem of a ladder sliding down the side of a wall. We were supposed to calculate where the top and the bottom rung would be at various times during it's travel downward. In Physics, there was a monkey cavorting in a tree to be caught. They were abstract questions of time and space that were no more to me than arbitrary hurdles to climb. A gradepoint on a report card.


Then there was the problem of the two trains. You know this one:

If two trains left from different sides of the country and Train A was traveling at one speed and Train B traveling twice as fast - blah blah blah blah blah blah blah - you know - those trains. I never really cared where those trains ended up. No matter where they came from or what time they arrived, they where never going to stop at my door.

Until today when two Internet "trains", one on Twitter and the other on Yahoo, stopped at my virtual door. On Train A, someone I've never met posted the fact that she had no idea what time zone she was in but she had photos of where she was. Her train of thought arrived from a scuba dive in Maui. http://yfrog.com/jbpx1p I came upon the photo by accident but I'm glad that I found it because of the second train. It came from a man who's wife had died. From Martin Short:



"... if you have wonderful moments, don't second-guess them, just enjoy them."


"Be here now." The words from someone when I was 16 were beginning to sink in.

"Be here now."

Seems simple but it's not.

If that wasn't enough to think about, there was a third train yet to arrive.

Today's horoscope said that there were people in my life that I'd lost touch with. It said that I should find them again. When I read the words I thought it would be Billy, IrishDavid, and Writing Buddy who I'd lost touch with.

I had no idea that the person I'd left behind was me.



"... if you have wonderful moments, don't second-guess them, just enjoy them."

said Martin Short.


"Be here now."

said the girl at 16.


Today is a good day to find the people who you've lost touch with."

said my horoscope.

(Who for once got it right.)


For the life of me, I couldn't calculate, for you or anyoneelse, the rate at which those "trains" arrived at my door. I just know, that when they did, a door appeared. A little like the one for Alice but without all that very long fall downward.


I opened the door and walked outside.


Photobucket



"Lucky me."



.



I still haven't named the boat.

Got the water from the Pacific, Atlantic, and on July 4th, the Gulf of Mexico. That we got the water from the Gulf on the 4th was important. It was the last of the water that I needed and it to me it was my liberty. There are folks here who are still trying to get me to go to the river. I know that they love it. I'm glad to have access to such beautiful water but they don't understand yet. It's time. The longer I stay here the more I come to resemble an old suitcase full of letters in storage. I'm tired of being custodian of other peoples memories while they go off in the world. Who pre-ordained me to sit quietly here with hands folded in my lap. There are adventures to be had on my small boat. I looked at that photo with is beautiful colors and thought, "It's time. No more people yelling and blaming me for the problems in their life. No more hearing about my short comings and failures. No more getting dumped on just to make other folks feel better about themselves. They'll do it no matter if I stay or go. I'd hoped to have a companion to go with me but what if I don't?


What is the worst thing that could happen?


Well, for one? I could grow old waiting to live young.


Hugs.


PS

I've read this to WB and Pup.

For some reason this is bothering WB. He's trying to feed me. He does that when he doesn't know whatelse to do with me. I'm glad he's here but I think it's been difficult for WB.




TBC

.

Note photo credit, Tim York (Tryork5ifp)

Yeah, that Tryork, the one from ebay.

.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment