Tuesday, April 26, 2011

.

I had two really interesting conversations yesterday.

They were both about home and they relate to the next couple of posts.

The first one was at the hardware store out where the building matterials are stored. I asked the guy how his weekend was and he told me about it. He had all his kids and grandkids and extended family come visit. He was the person who BBQed for everyone. Said by the afternoon he was tuckered out and took a nap. When I asked him if he had anyone who could do it for him and he said no. Inspite of saying how tired he got, I don't think that he'd change much.

I walked inside the store to pay for my purchase and there was another fella and I got to talking to him too. He's young. Misses his family. I hugged his neck and told him to hang in there but I don't think he'll be happy til he's home.



The first time I heard this song, I cried.

Home is funny isn't it.

I'm thinking that it's important for all of us to have some place to sit and visit. Doesn't really matter if it's a kitchen table, a couple of chairs under the treees, a park bench, or the front stoop. Doesn't matter what culture. Desert sands or the swamps of Louisiana it's good if there's some place to be.

The places that I remember most from being a kid involved conversations and visiting. WB told me last night that he heard about a big fire in line at the dollar store and how it took 10 minutes to tell about it. He started to tell me about how the conversation veered back and forth between the details of the fire and the rest of the days events. Made me smile when he said it. For alittle bit (when I didn't feel like I had a place or when it was hot and I was grimey from cleaning the kennels) my favorite place was standing in line at the Dollar General and listening to the conversations. For a bit, just a bit, I could close my eyes and remember what it was like to sit at my MawMaw's house or at WB's house and talk about stuff. We talk alot here. You can learn alot from the experience. I've heard stories of hoboing from my PawPaw and about moonshine and dancing in the caves at WB's house. You hear about family that you know or have never seen.

Yeah, everybody needs some place to sit and talk. Tell the stories that take forever to tell. A place that the kids can run wild with the dogs and the cousins and then flop down and listen to stories about people.

Feels like home.

.

2 comments:

  1. It's happening again. Stuff that I write is being highlighted. Sometimes it disappears and sometimes typos will show up. I'm kind of tired of this happening. What I usually do is fix the typos and then post in comments.

    Don't know what's happening but if it doesn't stop I may have to find another place to write.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This also used to happen on the old ebay blog.

    ReplyDelete