Monday, May 16, 2011

.



I'm having a "discussion" with Pup about Ms Power's portrayal of Ms. Markham and whether Ms. Thompson could play the role better. "Yee-ah, " I'm saying,"Look at her. She's the spiting image of Markham." 
He presses on, "But her voice? Do they have recording of Ms. Markham? What does she sound like?" 

"She's a proper actress with English sensibilities. Of couuurse she could play this woman.", I'm getting kind of annoyed that he didn't just agree with me.

 "I dunno." he counters. "It's not can she act or even if she's English, which considering where she was brought up, might not have anything to do with an "English" accent. It' the register. Is her voice a high pitch? How about Ms. Markham."

"Her voice IS FINE. No one give a crap. I mean look at Sean Connery.  Russian sub commander or American FBI agent. Guess what? Sean Connery."

It's really irritating to live with people who question everythinnnnnngggg!!!!!

(Whine)

Here's the visual

Ms. Markham

http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/pathfinders/Beryl%20Markham.htm


Ms Thompson

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiYu9y-ZlWb22ORfuZcuulRiYBG4cB7VRCErlImq2Ip3gjKGm6Cc6QwZ6JscQCy3YrRIWLt_jG1XNm7nDppBqRYDfeZZ63vJHJkXau0HXwGX_JS0rK-VUCiDJ4vMXfCsJuMp2M1bnZcRjcI/s400/Emma+Thompson.jpg&imgrefurl=http://moviedearest.blogspot.com/2008/07/women-we-love-emma-thompson.html&usg=__Zew88TCybKWm_cuGyK893pB2cJc=&h=400&w=269&sz=23&hl=en&start=77&zoom=1&tbnid=p2L2JQwLWegFpM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=90&ei=p03RTebmPMK3twfOyamMDg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Demma%2Bthompson%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1310%26bih%3D595%26tbm%3Disch0%2C1225&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=119&vpy=210&dur=18&hovh=274&hovw=184&tx=106&ty=182&page=4&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:77&biw=1310&bih=595


Ms Powers in the roll of Beryl Markham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8V7Ddkaja4


Ms. Powers is beautiful just as Ms Thompson and Ms Markham.  But for my money Ms. Thompson with the dress of the time is almost an exact copy of Ms Markham when it comes to hair, facial structure, eye color.

Ack, forget having to convince an investor or actor, I have convince my son who takes no BS from me what so ever. He was born immune.

It just would be nice to see this movie come to life without the (no offence) "Oprah gloss of feminist valor" award.  From what I'm reading, I don't think that Ms. Markham was a feminist icon. Not even close.

As I  tried to tell my son,

"Pup, she had an affair with a friends ex right after the friend and her ex parted ways. This woman had given Ms Markham a home when she was broke.  Provided a place for the newly wed Ms Markham to honeymoon. It was a painful breakup. How feminist is it to drop the woman who's just broken up with the love of her life and then go have an affair with the ex instead of consoling the woman friend? I just don't think it registered with here what havoc she was causing with a woman who'd been so kind --"

"Dunno." my son is making lunch so he's kind of distracted, " I don't think that makes her unsympathetic, besides it's just the background music. I think that Ms Powers is doing a pretty good job."  It was at this point he finished his lunch and my voice was rising as he went into the other room to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, "She left her infant son in the care of her estranged husband's mother in law" I'm ye- speaking in not my inside voice so that he could hear me, " because she didn't think it would fit with her life style." That should convince him that this wasn't a tragic figure and shouldn't probably be played as such.

I could hear a muffled "uh huh." from him but nothing that spoke of the indignity of  the situa ---

Never mind.


tbc  Going to go clean the kennels and hug the dogs.  If it weren't for "hug the dogs" part  it would be just dog poop.


Hugs,

AuthorAnn

.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment