Monday, January 31, 2011

Is my (sex)"life" as I knew it - over?

.


br />

The minute I turned 40 it began. My mother, the woman who sailed to the Carribean in her 60's and is very active in her late 70's began asking, "Honey? Have you started "the change"?" At first, I did what any sane person would do. I ignored her. Not since passing the mile stones that let me legally drink, drive, and smoke, had I put alot of thought into what my "age" would let me do. Ironically because of my Moms and her constant, "I won't define myself as an "age"." So neither did I.

Now, at age (over 50) I'm beginning to wonder if my (sex)"life" is over.

It's not me. I'm as sexual as I ever was. Plus with age has come experience. You learn things. It's good. So what's the problem?

It started with the ads in the sailing magazine. All those athletic old guys and their equally buff young companions. I know that ads for sailboats have always pandered to their target demo but the ads were mostly "manly men" sailing in rough water with a "babe" at dockside. Like what why mother was saying, I ignored. These new ads are different. Now the women in the new ads are the extreme physically fit young things who are now the girlfriends and wifes of the older guy on that boat.

I'd never noticed it before.

Looking at those ads, I began to her my mother's voice, "Have you gone through "the change yet?"



.

I don't know what to do here.

I honestly don't.

.

I do know this. For years I've been thinking that the "Women's Lib" movement liberated women but now I'm not so sure. Being liberated was supposed to mean that I had the same shot as life as a guy did. I never thought that age should matter. Now as I look as these photos, I realize that the real liberation was for the guys. Where it used to be thought of as "midlife crisis" for some older guy to "rob the cradle". Now it's just liberated. Who hoo who cares what age anyone is? Don't be a sexist or an ageist. Embrace the change. Unless you're a female over 40.

No, I don't want to join my fellow females over 40 who are defying convention by going out and embracing life. I had very good sex life thank you very much. I'd like to hang on to it.




Coyote.


.

4 comments:

  1. post continued,


    It was like suddenly thinking about what your grandmother and grandfather look like when they have sex. I began to wonder what sex after 50 was going to look like.

    I looked at the ads again and it hit me.

    "After years of saying it was us, women, wo were being liberated? It's actually the guys who got liberated." They got the adventure of their later life and the young women to share it with." I almost cried.

    Almost.

    There is no one younger than 40 who would cause me to go after a younger guy. I'm not interested. I endured the guys in their formative years. All that testosterone induced stupidity isn't my thing. I'd happily have a relationship with an older guy. They're fun and they're alot more secure in who they are as people. They're fun in a way that doesn't have to jump off a cliff to prove something they hopefully do it for the rush. I'm just not sure, with all the young women available if they're interested in anyone older than 40.

    Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .
    Which leaves me siting here wondering what I'm to do?

    Become a nun?

    Nah, I'm not that nice.

    Settle for memories?

    Nah, I'm too young.

    I just keep trying to imagine myself interested in a 25 year old and all I get is, "No!"

    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still not interested.

    However there are guys older and I'm not interested in them either.

    ReplyDelete