Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Everybody wants to Rule the World...

.


Unfortunately not all of them are qualified to do so.


.

I've been listening. Some of what I'm hearing would be funny if it were a play (maybe a farce). But it's not and that's disheartening to say the least. So instead of trying to get, you , the reader to agree with my political choices? I'm going to say one piece of advice that's carried me through...

"This too will pass."




What I've seen about this election has been less about issues and more about a growing anger with no real place to direct it. LOL. I think TV's Craig Ferguson said it best when he said he was glad to see the World Series because we could stop being mad at each other and start being mad @ baseball. I can relate. This weekend we were at a homestore when I asked the clerk (in passing mind you) if she knew the score on the two state college football teams. Her response was so filled with tension and anger that I had to wonder if I'd kicked her cat. Honestly? I'd never seen this person before and I'm not paranoid. There was no way I could have made her this angry. "How could this woman be so angry with me? I don't know her name nor does she know mine." was what I was thinking as she scowled at me. Yes scowled. There's no other way to put it. I stopped and asked if she were okay. There were comments about management and how things would change come Monday. There was that anger. The one where people were just mad.

In the South, if this were summer, I could blame it on the heat and the humidity. After 6 weeks of intense heat, folks start getting touchy. No matter why you're angry you can reliably blame it on the heat and go find somewhere to literally cool off, but not this time of year. This isn't "summer heat" angry. This is different. This is "My life is not going..." -- no -- this is "My life is crap at the moment and there's no specific person or thing to blame so I'm going to blame it on anyone who's around me at the moment" anger. It's been coming for some time. Personally I think it's what started the French Revolution.

Lucky for us we have elections and not monarchs. Thanks to the US Constitution we have a kind of peaceful revolution every four to six years depending on the branch of government. Long before we get to the point of the French Revolution, new groups, like the Tea Party, emerge. France during the years leading up to the French Revolution didn't have that luxury. Where they kept getting more and more angry until the populace revolted, we have peaceful elections. Again, lucky us.

My only problem with this is that when people are this angry the mantra, "Throw the bums out" can result in a kind of "voter's remorse". The problem with this is that unless they do something impeachable, unlike "buyer's remorse" it's a long 2, 4, or 6 years before you can send the new "bum" back.


"Throw the bums out." isn't a new phrase.

So is "Don't throw the baby out with the dirty bath water."


Everyone wants to rule the world.

Not to be discouraged if your guy or gal doesn't win. This is America. Lucky for us there's always another election just 2, 4, or 6 years away.


Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. "Some of what I'm hearing would be funny if it were a play (maybe a farce). But it's not and that's disheartening to say the least."


    should read


    "Some of what I'm hearing would be funny if it were a play (maybe a farce) but it's not and that's disheartening to say the least."


    The Edit Bunny.


    .

    Ps For what it's worth. I don't think that this is a Republican vs Democrat or a "Conservative" vs "Liberal" problem. Nope. I think it's actually a comment on the perceived disconnect between the people in office and the people they represent. And? I believe it's economic. LOL That's not a unique view is it. More than a few times I've heard that if the economy was doing good? Folks wouldn't have near the reaction to what's going on "...inside the Washington beltway..." They'd be too busy complaining about how Christmas ads were coming out too early and how we'd not even had Halloween or Thanksgiving yet." There'd be grumbling about how expensive things were getting to be but still nothing this angry. We're "marinating" in a soup of angry. Not sure how things are going in your world, but here it's almost nonstop about how bad the economy is. Then there'll be a commercial about how if we're truly to enjoy Christmas or our lives in general we need to buy this thing that costs way too much. Then were told that because we can't buy this thing our life must be terrible and we should be angry about it. Next thing you know there's shouting and "Throw the bum outting" and well you end up with the lady at the home store mad at you because you asked (in passing mind you) what the score was for the college ball game that day.

    LOL.


    I'm going to ignore it and vote for the candidate that I actually will represent me during the upcoming election cycle. It's not always easy but if I try really hard?

    I'll get what I need.

    Hugs,

    C

    ReplyDelete