Thursday, January 27, 2011

Writing for Twitter is different...

.

As mentioned before, I used to write a blog that was pretty well received. The most popular blog posts were the InteractiveBlogStories. These stories allowed the,Gentle Reader, to chose the plot line. After awhile, you could have multiple story lines by just adding planned or random hot links. It was great fun to write but very hard work. At first, it was just an experiment that I used to compare plot lines, create characters, or just to keep me from getting bored. After a while I learned to plan ahead for the plot and story arch. Since I was also learning about how the computer works in a practical sense, it was in it's heart of hearts an intuitive practice. When I finally found out how to link within my blog and to other parts of the Internet, it finally became, for me, a new way to write. It was a kind of living and breathing story book. Thanks to Youtube, the pictures came alive through words or songs and the links helped to provide an ever changing story.

Now, I'm trying to take the InteractiveBlogStory to Twitter.


For this writer? It's not been easy.

Today, I learned that typing @ with someones twitter name didn't take my comment to a website that the recipient could read later, oh no, it also could cause their cellphone to tweet. I honestly didn't know that. Now I do.


Now true, this might be a good thing to do if it's okay with the person who you are tweeting, it's a very bad idea to tweet folks who you don't know.

So rule number 1 with writing for Twitter.

If you write an InteractiveStory using Twitter, write the story but only include one active @ link to the person in question. I think that it would be okay to use @ then space then the twitter name. I know it's okay to use the #tag or the #FF because they won't cause the Twitter post to annoy another Tweeter.

But DO NOT DO NOT. Tweet the @ then tweeter's name unless they know that you will do that OR it's to WB. He's used to it.

That's it.

I'm hoping that this will be the end of this lesson learned. I'm hoping that I won't be banned for life or something else.

Mercy for a very contrite writer.

.

AuthorAnn

PS. The possibilities for InteractiveStories using the Twitter medium is really good. You can't be "werdy". The story arch has to be short. But I like haiku and the short story format with quick link so that's actually good. I do miss the magazine like format of the blog so for those times? I'll use the blogs but for quick, real time stories, I can live with the Twitter format. Plus I can finally find a way to write for the mobile phone marked. I know, I know this has already been done in places like Japan but that doesn't mean it's still not viable.

WB will ask me if it can make money. Not sure.


Will see.


Back to work (By the way, why didn't anyone tell me about that lovely Dr.Who show. The one with all the interlaping story lines. Honestly, it's been on for 50 years and I'm just now finding it out? Sheesh)

.

.

4 comments:

  1. Note to self.

    The ability to write multiple story lines within a story is better on Twitter. Immediate and non linear. Just tricky when it comes to continuity as these folks are quick and they have VERY long memories about plot and character. Yeeha.

    With the use of the #tag and yes even the @links I can even involve other writers in a real time story challenge. Is this a good way to get a writing team to participate in a writing session without being in the same room.

    Yup.

    It's also going to be a fun and interesting way to write for a mass market.

    Sigh. Finally.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap.

    "...Is this a good way to get a writing team to participate in a writing session without being in the same room."

    Should read

    "...Is this a good way to get a writing team to participate in a writing session without being in the same room?"


    I really do need an EditFairy.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incase anyone was wondering --

    I accidentally tweeted someone who was in their econ class. I thought it worked like an answering machine. It doesn't. Apparently every time I tweeted with the @ and their Twitter name they're phone rang. In the middle of class. While I was Tweeting them about how boring the class was. Lol. I got this terse Tweet telling me what was happening.

    Now?

    I write here where it IS like an answering machine.

    Save the tweeting for later.

    ack.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their Arse rang with each tweet. I thought this was better than it farting but they didn't get the humor of it.

    .

    ReplyDelete