Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New year

.




I don't want to sound preachy here. This blogpost isn't to tell anyone how to live there life. It's just that over the last year or so I've been making some changes in my life. Took a good hard look at who I was and who my friends really were. Would they care about me if I was the one who needed a couch to sleep on or a place to be.

And just where was my home.


I've been thinking about home and life.


Some of the choices that I've made in my life have been good ones. They really have. Buying the sailboat, staying where I am with some truly nice people, saying "You gotta' do what you've gotta do." and then LOL showing them my "transom" to the folks who weren't so nice. Staying with my son. These were good and honest choices. In the process I found that the boat gave me confidence, showing the folks who didn't wnat me around my "transom" lightened my load and gave me a freedom, and the ground that me feet was on slowly is becoming firm. I did find that while some of my family that said they wanted me really didn't, others did. I found that my son is good company and that WB really would give me the shirt off his back and a place to stay without a price tag.

So you see this post or the blog really hasn't anything to do with telling others how to live there life. It's a chance to live mine. If you read this blog and it helps? Great. If not? No need for anger. Just show me your transom and we'll both be on our way.

:D


This morning I was reading the new Cruising World. In the very back page there's column written by a woman who gave up her home on land to sail on the sea. She's thinking about home too. It's a good read. The following quotes are from this column.

"When a traveler is far from home for a long time, after months or years, homesickness becomes as much a part of the topography as the mountains and all the lovely light..." Kevin Patterson from The Water In Between: A Journey At Sea


And from Wendy Mitman Clark who wrote the column:


"...The fact is we're never the same once we've left. We can come back and travel the same roads, see the same places, taste the same summer lushness in the sweet corn and tomatoes, and it can seem that maybe we didn't have to leave anything behind after all. But we did. We left our old selves. And with every blue mile put between us and that skin we shed, the pain of that transition has lessened. The farther we've come, the more I've learned that home is something more than a place, a memory, or a history. Perhaps it's better defined as a time, that rare moment when one is perfectly connected with one's surroundings and purpose."


Wendy Mitman Clark, Hummus And Homesickness, Cruising World, January 2011


I dunno at the moment if home is a bit of geography or a point in time, I do know that family and "family" is important to the notion.

Life is a journey. The question is is "home" a place, a time, or a piece of geography? I dunno. We'll see.





Hugs,

Ann


.

No comments:

Post a Comment